LDCT Sites for Asymptomatic Moderate Smokers with an Asbestos Exposure
If you have had an exposure to asbestos; are currently, or have been, a pack-a-day smoker for 20 years; are between 50 and 74 years of age; and do not have any symptoms associated with an asbestos exposure, please read on.
Talk with your doctor about the value of screening for lung cancer in your case. Research has shown that the early detection of lung cancer using a specific painless procedure called a Low Dose CT Scan results in the greatest probability of a cure in the high-risk population.
A few healthcare facilities are offering the Low Dose CT (LDCT) Scan screening to asbestos-exposed smokers .
- ARKANSAS (Fayetteville and Rogers) Two locations for The Center for Chest Care have a screening program. Both sites are designated by the American College of Radiology as Diagnostic Imaging Centers of Excellence. Click on The Center for Chest Care or call 479-695-0081 for more information.
FLORIDA (Pensicola) The Sacred Heart Cancer Center has a LDCT screening program that covers 50 – 54 year old moderate smokers (20 pack/year history) with an asbestos exposure. For specific information visit the Sacred Heart website or call “Sally” 850-416-6719.
- MICHIGAN (Commerce Township) Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital of the Detroit Medical Center is offering the Low Dose CT scan. This includes a review of the results by the Lung Team, along with any recommendations for follow-up. For additional information and help in scheduling a scan, contact “Dolly” at Huron Valley-Sinai, 248-937-4320.
MICHIGAN (Multiple locations) Many of the hospitals of the St. John Providence Health System provide LDCT screening for moderate smokers with an asbestos exposure. Call the Cancer Care Coordinator toll-free at 866-246-4673 for more information and to schedule an appointment.
NEBRASKA Two Nebraska Medicine locations in the Omaha area offer Low Dose scans for moderate smokers with an asbestos exposure. The imaging center is an American College of Radiology Designated Lung Cancer Screening Center. The cost of the scan for those without insurance coverage is $200. Call 402-559-4389 for more information or to schedule a screening appointment at the cancer center.
- OHIO Twelve facilities associated with the Premier Health System located in mid-Ohio are offering the test. For testing locations and answers to FAQs, visit the Premier Health Lung Cancer Screening web page.
- OHIO (Toledo) Flower Hospital’s Hickman Cancer Center is offering the test. Call 419-824-1952 for more information and to schedule an appointment.
- PENNSYLVANIA (Chambersburg) Summit Pulmonology offers the screening exam. Visit the Summit Pulmonology website or call “Leslie” at 717-217-6001 for inclusion criteria.
- PENNSYLVANIA (Darby and Philadelphia) Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia hospitals have a screening program for asbestos-exposed moderate smokers. For additional information and to schedule an appointment call 610-237-2525.
LDCT Sites for Asymptomatic Heavy Smokers
The following places offer low cost or free screening to those heavy smokers without an asbestos exposure or symptoms (costs subject to change):
|AZ||Phoenix||St Joseph Norton Thoracic Institute||$79||855-586-4727|
Christiana Health Care
Bayhealth Medical Ctr
|For Underinsured or Uninsured only||302-401-4212|
|FL||Tampa||Moffitt Cancer Ctr.||$150||888-860-2778|
|FL||Tampa||Moffitt Cancer Ctr. at International Center||$150||888-860-2778|
|IN||several||Indiana University Health System||$49||855-293-5864|
|IN||Vincennes||Good Samaritan Hospital||$179||812-885-3638|
|MA||Burlington & Peabody||Lahey Hospital Medical Center||FREE||855-282-4378|
|ME||Bangor||Eastern Maine Medical Center||FREE||207-795-8354|
|MI||Grand Rapids||Mercy Health Lacks Cancer Center||$99||616-685-5203|
|OH||Cambridge||Southeastern Med (4/30/15 Only)||$95||740-439-8930|
|OH||Toledo||Dana Cancer Ctr. @ Univ. of Toledo Med. Ctr.||$99||419-383-5035|
|PA||Butler||Butler Health System||$150||724-284-6211|
|PA||Pittsburgh||West Penn Hosp. Thoracic & Esoph. Instititute||FREE||844-246-5864|
|PA||several||Crozier-Keystone Health System||$125||866-525-9729|
|TN||Alcoa||Blount Memorial Diagnostic Center at Springbrook||$96||865-981-2288|
|TN||Alcoa||East Tennessee Medical Group||$96||865-268-1320|
|VA||Richmond||Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Ctr.||$299||804-828-3768|
Tri-Cities Cancer Center
Cheyenne Regional Cancer Center
|FREE to underinsured||307-633-6863|
This information has been posted on behalf of M.R Harbut, MD. Neither he nor anyone associated with the Breath of Life Foundation has a financial interest these programs.